DATE: February 15th, 2015 at 7:00 AM
Location: University of California – Irvine
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN THROUGH ACTIVE.COM!!
Register on the Active website: ZOT TROT 2015*.
Online registration will close on Friday, February 13th at 11:45 pm. If you want to register after this time you may do so on race morning starting at 5:30AM.
Sign up early and save!!
Entry fees increases $5 on 15th January 2015, 11:45 pm.**
Entry fees go up another $10 1st February 11:45 pm.**
*WCCTC members – in compliance with league rules you may register by mail to avoid Active registration fees. Please send an email to the contact address below to arrange this.
**5K and Student/Faculty/Staff exempt.
We are offering the following race options:
- Individual triathlon – 500 yd swim, 12 mile bike, 3.1 mile run
- Relay triathlon – Complete the above courses with 2 of your close friends!
- 5K – Participants will complete the run portion of the triathlon course; starts at 7:45
The race will be held starting at the Anteater Recreation Center at UC Irvine:
Swim: 500 yards (0.28 miles)
The swim will be a 500 yard snake swim in the Anteater Recreation Center pool. The swim will be a TIME TRIAL START and the order will be based on the racers response to a 500 yard swim time. Athletes will be released at 5-10 second intervals. NO DIVING is allowed – you may jump feet first into the water and push off the wall.
Bike: 19 km (11.8 miles)
The bike course consists of a 3 mile loop repeated 4 times and is completely closed to traffic. The map below shows one loop as well as the entrance and exit to the loop from transition. Due to the clockwise nature of the course – cyclists will RIDE LEFT AND PASS RIGHT. Just pretend you’re in the UK!
Run: 5K (3.1 miles)
The run course starts at the transition area on the ARC Fields and is a 3.1 mile loop.
Friday, 13th February 2015, 11:45pm – Registration closes online
Saturday, 14th February 2015, 1PM-5PM – Packet pickup at Anteater Recreation Center Front Steps
Sunday, 15th February 2015, 5:30AM – Race Day Packet pickup/Registration
6:30AM – Packet Pickup Closed
6:50AM – Transition Closed
7:00AM – Triathlon starts
7:45AM – 5K starts (estimated, will start after all triathletes have started)
We welcome all levels of athletes and our race is considered very beginner friendly. Triathlon can seem intimidating and complicated, but it’s as easy as swim, bike, and run, don’t sweat it too much! That being said, we do want to make sure everyone is aware of a few basic rules if you’re new to the sport. If you’re into fine print you can read more here.
- Drafting – keep at least three bike lengths of clear space between you and the cyclist in front. If you move into the zone, you must pass within 15 seconds.
- Position – keep to the right hand side of the lane of travel unless passing.
- Blocking – riding on the left side of the lane without passing anyone and interfering with other cyclists attempting to pass.
- Overtaken – once passed, you must immediately exit the draft zone from the rear, before attempting to pass again.
- Helmets must be worn at all times while on your bike. This means before, during, and after the event.
- Headphones, headsets, walkmans, iPods, MP3 players, or personal audio devices, etc. are not to be carried or worn at any time during the race.
This event is sanctioned by USA Triathlon. All participants must have an annual membership valid through the race date, or must purchase a one-day license ($12 adult, $10 youth) during registration. Be sure to bring your ID and USAT card to packet pickup. A USAT license provides insurance, and an annual membership comes with additional benefits.
The bike course will be completely closed to traffic to allow for the safety and race experience of our athletes. Parking is available at the Anteater Recreation Center for a fee. The parking pass is required by the University of California and we cannot control this. Spectators should plan to arrive by 6:45 AM in order to park. Vehicles arriving after this time may be redirected to another lot, but this is dependent on available space and arriving late is at your own risk.
For questions or comments please email: firstname.lastname@example.org